Wednesday, August 04, 2010

A Dispatch From Our Most Trusted Correspondent, Filing From A Faraway Place.

The new land is quite welcoming in its way. Everybody smiles encouragingly and there appears to be absolutely no racism. A generally egalitarian spirit prevails, and those who run the place have obviously got where they are on merit and hard work. As against that, the humor is a touch feeble and repetitive, there seems to be almost no talk of sex, and the cuisine is the worst of any destination I have ever visited.

Pluck and ginger.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Colvin said...

If I wasn't an atheist I'd be praying for Hitch. I'm sure the godbots will see this as divine punishment for his temerity, so he'd damn well better pull through. The worlds needs more of his "no-compromise, damn-the-consequences, I don't care who I offend by sticking with my principle" attitude. My brother tells an amusing story; he spent a couple hours talking with Hitchens (semi-soused as usual) at a party in Washington, after which he was offered $500 to "accidentally" knock him into the pool. After informing Hitchens later, his reply was "you should have told me then, taken the money, pushed me in, then we could have split the loot".

7:32 PM  
Blogger EscapeVelocity said...

The worlds needs more of his "no-compromise, damn-the-consequences, I don't care who I offend by sticking with my principle" attitude.


Like the "godbots?"

;)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colvin said...

Hitchen's principles are rationality and a refreshing lack of hypocrisy. Godbots; not so much.
CH: "Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason."

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home