Friday, June 06, 2008

I'd Like To Accept This Award On Behalf Of A Certain Mr. Bing, If That's Allowed. . .

At the National Magazine Awards Gala in Toronto this evening, I won the Silver prize in the Essays Category for Looking For Mr. Bing, which appeared last year in that great quarterly, the Vancouver Review. The Gold went to George Jonas for his Meditations on Israel (Queen's Quarterly). Good on ye, George.

Honourable Mentions went to Nicolas Langelier for De l'utilisation du mot pute par la jeune femme moderne, in L'Actualite; Mark Steyn, for The human drama the jury didn't see, in Macleans; Edward Keenan for Markham & Lawrence East, in Spacing Magazine; Jonathan Garfinkel for A House Divided, in The Walrus Magazine; Rick Salutin for The Autobiography of an Idea, also in The Walrus Magazine; and last but in no way least, my colleague Charlotte Gill, for Eating Dirt, also in the Vancouver Review.

I also see my friend Tadzio Richards (one of my students!) won the Gold in the investigative journalism category for Burning Water, in Maissoneuve.

If I'd been at the event, I'd have made a mushy acceptance speech to profusely thank Vancouver Review editor Gudrun Will and her ace photographer-artist colleague Mark Mushet; Historian Jim Wolf; Historian and heritage adviser Jennifer Iredale; My dear comrade Todd Wong; Chang Bo, consular officer with the Guangdong Foreign Office; my companions and colleagues Peng Yangyi and Guo Xu Yue in Guangdong, and all the kind people there who took me in for tea and conversation.

If I'd been sufficiently liquored up I expect I might have asked the awards-ceremony revelers to spare a thought for the millions of workers who toil in China without benefit of free trade unions or civil rights protection, and I would probably have mentioned Hu Xinyu, a 25-year-old who was worked to death in a Guangdong factory a couple of years ago, and Yang Xixiang, a Guangzhou toy-factory worker who died from brain-stem bleeding last year after working a 21-hour shift.

But as for thanks, I would have reserved my most heartfelt appreciation for our beloved Mr. Bing, a kind man in a Homburg hat and a black greatcoat who showed my family great kindness when were hillbilly immigrants without a clue about the new world we'd come to, many, many years ago.

14 Comments:

Blogger kurt said...

Congrats on the silver, Terry. Missed the Review piece, anywhere on the web to read it?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Hi Kurt. Thanks.

Just click the Looking for Mr. Bing link in the first paragraph. It's online now.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Mark, Ottawa said...

Well done, Terry.

Mark
Ottawa

12:07 PM  
Blogger RadicalOmnivore said...

Terry,
you were one of the first "local" authors I stumbled into when I washed up on Canada's shores, clueless, penniless and with an eight and a half month pregnant local girl with the craziest cheek bones I'd ever seen waiting for me.
In ways I'm sure you never intended, your books and writings and, on occasion, even your recommendations have often served as guides for me in my new home.
For that I thank you and for your award I heartily congratulate you.
If you're ever in Nunavut's capital, drop on by; we always have some caribou in the freezer and a bottle of Black Bush tucked under the sink.
From one hillbilly immigrant to another: cheers, mate!

:)

3:12 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

Thanks Kurt and Mark.

And Iceclass: That's a cery kind offer. With luck I may one day take you up on it; after your description of the contents of your freezer from one of your posts a couple days back, my mouth is still watering. The Black Bush clinches it.

Cheers,

TG

3:52 PM  
Blogger Stephen K said...

Congratulations, Terry!

1:43 AM  
Blogger richard said...

Congratulations, Terry!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Robert G. said...

Stop it. It'll go to his head.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Blazingcatfur said...

Congrats Terry!

11:15 AM  
Blogger RadicalOmnivore said...

"The Black Bush clinches it."

Yeah, it usually does.
;)

7:33 PM  
Blogger kurt said...

Really enjoyed the Review piece. Learned a few things and liked the way you wove time and space without any hard landings or non sequitors.

8:11 PM  
Blogger truepeers said...

Good job.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Babbling Brooks said...

Congratulations, Terry. Your writing deserves every recognition it gets!

9:23 AM  
Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Congratulations, Terry! It is a grand piece, really.

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home