Saturday, December 09, 2006

Answering My Tyee Question - Vote NDP or Not?

Thanks to Idealistic Pragmatist, a thoughtful New Democratic Party activist, for taking the time to consider the question I posed in my Tyee column of a couple of days ago. She's crafted a well-reasoned and convincing argument in the form of advice to NDP-Liberal swing voters, which I'll take the liberty of summing up in her own words:

If they live in ridings where the NDP candidate can beat the Tory, they should vote NDP, and if they live in ridings where the Liberal candidate can beat the Tory, they should vote Liberal.

Some time ago, the Pragmatist presented the best defence I've read of the strange evolution of the NDP's position on Afghanistan and its tortured reasoning on the question. I disagree with her and the NDP's Afghanistan position (sorry, Pragmatist, but "Support Our Troops, Bring 'Em Home" is all it amounts to, no matter how it's dressed up). But I consider her an honourable adversary in that debate, which is to say she's not objectively pro-fascist, like so many in Canada's so-called "anti-war" crowd.

Taking the Pragmatist's cue, Michel Fortin ponders the implications of Stephane Dion's victory at the Liberal leadership convention and concludes: "Ce que j’aimerais voir au Canada, c’est une coalition gouvernementale ; une coalition où différents partis s’engagent à former le gouvernement ensemble en mettant en commun leur programmes respectifs et en gouvernant sur la base du compromis." Which is more or less an argument in favour of a real coalition, negotiated by compromise, rather than simply a Liberal minority backed by the NDP.

The best possible scenario, at least for the long term, would be for voters of all stripes to revive the push for proportional representation. Here's an essay I wrote for the Winnipeg Free Press in favour of some form of pro-rep, from four years ago. See also the Pragmatist's view (an excellent analysis) and Vues d'ici as well.

7 Comments:

Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Thanks for the link, and the compliments. Since you seem to agree with me, though, might I be so bold as to suggest that in the future, you might want to make your arguments as a pitch for genuine strategic voting rather than as an oversimplifed "why would anybody want to vote NDP again"? Because confusing the issue like that certainly doesn't advance the agenda I think you want to support.

Oh, and just as an aside comment on the sentence "I disagree with her and the NDP's Afghanistan position": If you read my Afghanistan post carefully, you can see that the NDP's position and my position are far from identical. Do you disagree with both positions, then?

12:49 PM  
Blogger gfdgfdfd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Devon,

Just to make sure I'm understood: my argument about genuine, riding-by-riding strategic voting wasn't directed at everyone, just at Liberal-NDP swing voters. I wouldn't vote strategically, either, and I certainly wasn't suggesting you should. The main reason I left the U.S. was to be a part of a political scene that had a whole spectrum of colourful choices.

But if the sole aim of Liberal-NDP swing voters is to oust Harper, the only reasonable thing they can do is look at who can win in their ridings and vote accordingly. And since--unlike you and me--these people aren't "proud supporters" of anyone in particular, they're not betraying their ideals by doing so, either.

1:25 PM  
Blogger gfdgfdfd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Idealistic Pragmatist said...

Devon,

Both the NDP and the Greens have been valiant in fighting for proportional representation. It's all over both party platforms, so bringing that message to them would be preaching to the choir.

No, I become ever more convinced as time goes on that proportional representation won't come from any party or combination of parties--it'll come from the people. The best thing you can do right now to fight for PR is to join organizations like Fair Vote Canada and get to work bringing the message to the public.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Terry Glavin said...

That should have read:

"I disagree with the NDP position, and not just because it panders to "troops out" sentiment without necessarily being an unequivocal "troops out" position

7:20 PM  
Blogger Stephen K said...

"If they live in ridings where the NDP candidate can beat the Tory, they should vote NDP, and if they live in ridings where the Liberal candidate can beat the Tory, they should vote Liberal."

To this I would add, if you live in a riding where the Conservative candidate is by no stretch of the imagination a threat to win, vote your conscience.

I live in such a riding, and I'll probably vote Green.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home