Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Parades, The Adoring Fans, It’s All So Tiring.


I would have gone if only to hoist a few with my pal Johnny but I was otherwise engaged on the far side of town with herself. Still, it looks like the Mag Awards event was swell, and I won (!) for this essay in the Public Issues category.

I see Mark Steyn lost. My boss Charlie Smith won one, Andrew Struthers won two, and Stephen Osbourne, who edits Geist, got one of those lifetime-achievement prizes. Well deserved, too.

I'm quite pleased with myself because I was up against Gary Bauslaugh’s essay on vote-rigging in America in Humanist Perspectives magazine and two essays by Tyee Bridge in a periodical that I will refer to only as That Other Magazine In Calgary, for reasons explained here.

It’s fine company to be in, being shortlisted is what really counts after all, recognition by one’s peers and all that, the win is just a coin-toss, bla bla bla, you bet I’m keeping the money.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert G. said...

You forgot to say, "doesn't mean much to me, of course, but it means a lot to the family."

Congrats!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Stuart Morris said...

Wow, beautiful and sad piece. Kuper, Thetis, and the Secretary Islands are a favorite kayaking spot for me, and I knew very little of the history of the area.

Congratulations on the win, there needs to be a lot more work like this.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home