Monday, January 23, 2006

The Good Thing About The Election

I win $10 from my colleague Charlie Smith, editor of the Georgia Straight, for making the prediction closest to the result. I said: Conservatives 122, Liberals 103, Bloc 50 and NDP 30. The result, as of about 10:30 PST: Conservatives 124, Liberals 103, Bloc 51, NDP 29, Nutcase Quebecois Shock-Radio Host: 1.

Pretty close, eh?

I’ll spare Charlie the blushing. Let’s just say he was more pessimistic than me.

Other good news: Liberal Stephen Owen won in Vancouver-Quadra.

Bad news: New Democrat Randall Garrison lost in Esquimalt – Juan de Fuca.

I could go on with the good news and bad news all night. Most of it would be bad, so I’ll stop now, and bring to your attention three new links that I’ve just pasted on the side to cheer myself up:

Under Brits:

Drink-Soaked Trotskyite Popinjays for War (“for internationalism and all-day opening hours”).

Under Yanks:

The brave and brilliant Lost Magazine.

The wise and venerable journal Dissent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home